HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA
Build your own
The beauty of this truly scrumptious brekky is that both you and the kiddies will love it, and it can be personalized to suit all tastes. The recipe is totally flexible – Mix and match! Build your own granola by using the ingredients you like and have on hand and the best bit is that you get to control how much sugar goes in – unlike the shop brought brands!
- 360 g rolled oats
- 150g coconut flakes (or more nuts or oats)
- 150g raw nuts (eg. sliced almonds, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 150g dried fruit (eg. chopped apricots, apple, pineapple, raisins)
- 1 tsp your favourite spice (eg. cinnamon, pumpkin spice, gingerbread mix)
- 1 pinch salt
- 150g sweetener (eg. honey, maple syrup, agave syrup)
- 100g fat (eg. melted butter, canola oil or coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp flavouring (eg. vanilla, almond essence, orange blossom)
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
- Combine Dry ingredients, excluding dried fruit.
- Combine Wet ingredients.
- Combine Wet and Dry ingredients. Do a taste test. Adjust to taste -more sweet, more fat etc.
- Spread on baking tray and bake until golden, approximately 35 – 40 minutes, tossing twice.
- Stir through dried fruit. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
In the Slevin household we love to have ours finished with dollops of Greek yoghurt topped with blueberries, or little Rafi’s favorite of sliced bananas.
Here are some other GRANOLA FLAVOUR COMBINATIONS that have proven a hit in the family:
* Classic Fruit & Nut: Butter, Honey, Almonds + Pumpkin Seeds, mixed dried chopped fruit (store bought mix), cinnamon powder and vanilla essence.
* Apple Pie: As above but use only almonds and dried apples.
* Blueberry Pie: Apple Pie recipe but use dried blueberries instead and skip the cinnamon powder and add a dash of lemon essence.
* Super Berries: Try using dried goji berries! Mimi loves this and says it ‘fuels her brain!’
* Orange Almond: Almonds and orange blossom